Friday 14 January 2011

first

Been meaning to make a blog for a while. Let's see how this goes.

pl_bunkerdash
Before I blab about this I should say I've been working on pl_bunkerdash since January 2010, about a year, and it's a level for the popular online fps game Team Fortress 2. That's the short intro for the level and part of the reason for this blog. I'll write about why I started this project another time if there's interest.

pl_bunkerdash_b1
b1 for "beta 1" or the first beta version of this map. For me, beta meant I was happy with the gameplay of the level and all that's left is making it look pretty. Well, it looks quite pretty now...
...and today it was tested on a server provided by tf2maps.net. I got some good feedback but there was a fatal issue with the map that caused the server to crash with too many players. In a later post I'll show you any interesting stuff in the next version in a lot more detail, for now, if you like, you can visit the forum thread. There's also a few more screenshots of the map there.

Technical
The crash that my map was causing was due to the "edict limit" of the Source Engine. Source can have up to 2048 dynamic entities allocated to the entity dictionary at any one time, go over this limit and the engine crashes. I didn't know about this until an hour or so ago so I don't know much more than that. I do know, however, how to fix this. It involves using less entities. Tricky, I know. Seriously though I pretty much spammed point_spotlight without really realising (something like 400 of them, there's quite a few in that screenshot, and they're made of like 3 entities themselves (I'm just quoting someone cleverer than me here)).

I didn't experience this error myself because the map alone has 1942 entities, plus me (the player) and any entities I might produce (sticky bombs etc). On a server with more players you can see how a crash would occur. Here's some more info on the issue.

I gotta say: much credit to the dudes at TF2maps.net for finding out what caused the crashes - I had no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment