Tuesday 7 January 2014

Daily Disconnect

Over the course of my day I get plenty of thoughts. Ideas & worries, they pop up and stick in there somewhere craving attention. Yes, yes, hold ON I'm in the middle of something. It can get too foggy with thoughts to focus and I just turn off, or do something dim like watch YouTube poop. When it gets this bad, it's time to disconnect. And it's probably a good idea to disconnect daily.


A disconnect means being disciplined and not interacting with my phone or computer. It's setting aside some time to think. Meet each thought, get to know it. Really hear it out. Leave no stones unturned in my mind.

This can be hard if there's a particular worry I'd rather forget. No stones unturned.

I'll have some paper and coloured pens ready for when I mustn't forget. The scribble notes I make aren't legible to anyone, but they mean something to me. They're bookmarks to that time and place in my mind. When I'm done organising my thoughts I refine my notes into actions that I can take to resolve the worries and fulfil the ideas, and with boxes beside them ready to be ticked!

Practically speaking, I disconnect sitting on my bed in blankets, notifications switched off, sometimes with a mug of coffee nearby, usually listening to an album like Nepenthe, or more recently, Systems/Layers. I can really hear the mind cogs turning in Water From the Same Source. If the weather's good or if I'm not at home I might go walk someplace and sit somewhere. If you look like me though, you run the risk of being handed spare change... oh what? OH. Hey I'm not homeless... !



No comments:

Post a Comment